The City of LaFayette and Downtown Development Authority are hiring a Downtown Events and Marketing Coordinator. This individual will work closely with the Downtown Development Director, LaFayette Downtown Development Authority, City Staff, and local businesses to plan and execute a variety of economic impact events, programs and initiatives that will drive community engagement and foot traffic to promote the downtown area as a destination for residents and visitors alike. The City of LaFayette is undergoing an exciting revitalization effort and this position would be working on the frontlines to promote and enhance the redevelopment initiatives. To be successful in this role, a Downtown Events and Marketing Coordinator should have strong communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to be self-driven and work independently while managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. The right candidate should also be comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders, including business owners, community leaders, and government officials.
- Media Management: Knowledge of a variety of print and online communications media; must have demonstrated experience with new media technologies such as varied social media platforms and Canva or related graphic design platforms.
- Public Engagement: Assist Downtown Development Director in presentations to elected officials, state and federal partners, and local stakeholders to provide updates and share feedback on events, programs and marketing efforts related to downtown development. Work with Director on building relationships with all LaFayette Merchants.
- Marketing + Branding Development: Work with the Downtown Development Director to develop and execute a comprehensive marketing plan for the City of LaFayette and the Development Authority. Help implement the City Brand across all forms of marketing collateral and events.
- Event Planning: Plan and organize a diverse range of events and initiatives such as: concerts, small business promotional events, holiday and seasonal events, art + cultural events, and civic impact events that will drive engagement and foot traffic into the downtown area. Work directly with the Downtown Development Director, Downtown Development Authority, City Staff, and LaFayette Merchants to identify opportunities for events and programs that align with the economic development goals and objects of both the DDA and the City.
- Event Management: Manage the logistics of events, including coordinating with vendors, managing volunteers, securing permits and insurance, oversee event setup and tear-down, and assist in managing event budgets.
- Community Event Calendar Development: Collaborate with local businesses, DDA Committees, and community organizations to create an annual calendar of events and promotions for the City of LaFayette.
- Main Street Implementation: Work in partnership with the Downtown Development Director to execute the Main Street™ 4-point approach in the areas of: Design, Promotion, Economic Vitality, and Organization. Assist in the Main Street monthly reporting, annual work plan development, committee management, and completing the annual assessment.
- Build Partnerships + Sponsorships: Collaborate with local businesses and organization to identify opportunities for partnerships and sponsorships. Work with business owners to enhance social media reach and marketing efforts.
- Event Tracking: Analyze data related to events and marketing initiatives, including attendance and engagement metrics. Evaluate the success of events, programs and initiatives, while providing recommendations for future improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, general business administration, hospitality management or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in event planning, marketing, hospitality management or related experience with a proven track record of successful events executed
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to organize and coordinate multiple events and initiatives simultaneously
- Understands the tenets of sensitive public communication and will execute this ethos across all public communication strata especially regarding social media engagement.
- Knowledge of the downtown LaFayette area and the local business community is a plus.
Certificates (Desired, but not required. Must have a willingness to obtain these within the first six months of hire if offered within that time frame)
- Downtown Development Authority (Basic)
- Main Street 101
- Social Media Management for Governments webinar
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications and responsibilities should not be viewed as expressing an absolute employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
- The Downtown Development Director will assign some tasks and oversee day to day projects. The City Manager spot checks work for compliance with requirements and goals.
- Program, project guidance, and oversight are also received from the DDA Board of Directors through the Board chair.
- The Marketing and Events Coordinator functions with considerable independence in job‐related activities and is held accountable for results by both the DDA Board, Downtown Development Director, and City Manager. The work is typically reviewed through monthly DDA Board meetings along with monthly meetings with City Manager.
Physical Demands Work Environment:
- Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light to moderate weight. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals. Some tasks require that ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather
- Flexible Availability: Must be available to work some nights and weekends based upon events or meeting schedules. Some travel will be required.
Salary + Benefits
Salary: Based upon experience
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision
- 11 paid Government Holidays, with 1 floating holiday
- Paid Vacation: accrue at 6.667 hours / month
- Sick Leave: accrue at 8 hours / month
- Open to 4:1 hybrid WFH schedule- based upon performance, achievement, and events schedule
EOE STATEMENT We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
For the Electronic Online Employment Application Click Here