This position operates equipment in the repair and maintenance of city streets, rights-of-way, drainage structures, and other public works infrastructure.
Essential Job Functions
- Fabricates and installs street signs.
- Maintains assigned vehicles and equipment; performs pre- and post-trip vehicle inspections.
- Flags traffic and installs traffic control devices at work sites.
- Operates a leaf wagon vacuum.
- Installs and repairs storm drains and catch basins.
- Patches, paves, and repairs potholes.
- Constructs culverts.
- Trims tress and bushes in right-of-way.
- Assists in the installation of seasonal decorations.
- Cleans and repairs catch basins; operates jet truck.
- Applies pesticides for mosquito control
- Mows and weed eats right-of-way.
- Repairs sidewalks.
- Salts and sands roads in response to winter storms.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge of the techniques, equipment, and supplies used in streets and right-of-way maintenance.
- Knowledge of city and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the geography of the city, including street names and locations.
- Knowledge of work safety principles.
- Skill in the operation of assigned tools and equipment.
- Skill in the maintenance of assigned equipment, vehicles, and tools.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- More than three years of related experience required.
- Must obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia of the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Guidelines include traffic laws, work safety policies, city codes, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
- The work consists of related equipment operation and public works maintenance duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to operate equipment and assist in the maintenance and repair of city streets, rights-of-way, and related infrastructure. Successful performance contributes to the provision of safe and well-maintained streets.
- Contacts are typically with coworkers and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Paid Sick Leave
Short Term Disbaility
Long Term Disability
Employee Development and In-Service Training
Uniform Allowance (select positions)
Employee Assistance Program
Defined Benefit Retirement Pension Plan
Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
Dental Plus Plan
Dental Basic Plan
Vision Service Plan
Basic Life and ADD
Supplemental Life Employee
Benefit costs are paid by the City of Fort Oglethorpe, by the employee or shared by both the City and the employee.
Background investigation, including drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; MVR and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment. Please list professional references not family members.
Please upload/attach HS diploma or highest degree and/or DD-214 for military service verification if applicable
To apply, go to the City of Fort Oglethorpe Website